A Problem Shared… Pushchair Trouble

A Problem Shared Childcare Health | by | 5th Feb 2016

10_Pushchair Trouble

Kat is a single mum from Cardiff with a 3½ year old son with hypermobility, low muscle tone, and a global development delay. His pushchair is broken and she needs help to find a replacement.

She’s asked A Problem Shared… for advice.

My 3½ year old son’s special needs pushchair broke recently and in order to get it fixed or get a replacement I have to package it up and (at a cost to myself) send it back via the Post Office.

In the meantime, I need the temporary loan of a pushchair as we cannot get about without it as he has little mobility and is too heavy to carry. I contacted his orthotist to see if they could lend me a pushchair for a fortnight. They couldn’t help, but transferred me through to wheelchair services who said I would need to get my son referred by a medical professional and be added to a waiting list.

wheelchair symbol

I spoke to my doctor about getting a new mobility pushchair who told me I needed a referral from an occupational therapist. My son was referred to occupational therapy in May 2015, was added to their waiting list in July 2015, and we are still waiting for an appointment 7 months later.

Right now, neither me nor my son can leave the house. I don’t know what to do next as we are in desperate need of a replacement or temporary loan so we can get out and about. I can’t self-refer and can’t wait for an OT appointment. If you can help, please let me know.

Our FamilyPoint advice to Kat

Thank you for contacting FamilyPoint Cymru. It sounds like you are having a really tough time trying to sort out what should be a straightforward situation with a suitable wheelchair/buggy for your son. You have already gone through the various channels that we may have suggested to start with, however, we have found some other information that might be helpful for you to try.

The Red Cross offers a service where they loan wheelchairs to both children and adults. They have a depot in South Wales which you can contact on 01633 245753 where you can discuss availability and suitability of a wheelchair to meet your child’s needs. They can arrange delivery if needed too.

We have also found another organisation who offer loans of mobility aids for children called Wizzybug. You can find out more on their website.

In addition, if you are still having difficulty, you could contact the Children’s Commissioner for Wales office. They can help parents when they feel their child’s needs or rights are not being met and they have exhausted all other options. However, this may not offer a short term or immediate solution.

If you feel this is something you’d like to talk to us about in more detail, you can contact us by phone – 0300 222 57 57, text – 07860 052 905 or instant message.

We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.

Do you have any advice for Kat?

A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now.

A Problem Shared moneyCheck out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:

View all our latest responses.


Share this