Do you live in a Flying Start area? Do you have a 2-year-old? Then keep an eye out for your free Flying Start Book Bag!
Well it’s because speech, language and communication is super important for toddlers.
Encouraging them to read, write and communicate now really impacts on their literacy levels later in life.
Rhymes, songs and storytelling are great ways to encourage little ones to develop their language skills.
What do you get in a Flying Start Book Bag?
The 2016 version of Flying Start Book Bag includes the following things:
- Time for Bed, Fred! by Yasmeen Ismail – an English language book picture book about a naughty dog.
- Weithiau Rwy’n Hoff O Gyrlio’n Belen (Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball) by Vicki Churchill – a bilingual book about a wombat, with a link to an online recording of the Welsh text on the back cover.
- An A4 scribble pad
- A set of 8 chunky crayons.
- Colourful activity sheets for each book – two pages of ideas and activities such as games and rhymes to share, available in both English and Welsh versions.
- You’ll also get information about Welsh Libraries, a height chart linked from Education Begins at Home and a United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) postcard.
You even get to keep the child-friendly bag it comes in.
Flying Start in Wales
If you’re not sure if you live in a Flying Start area, check with your nearest Flying Start programme. You can find their contact details on your local county page. They’re also all linked to on our Flying Start in Wales page.
If you want more info on what Flying Start is all about, then watch this video…
Child Literacy in Wales
If you want to know more about child literacy or looking for ways to encourage your child to read more, then have a look at these sites:
- Welsh Libraries
- Book Trust Cymru
- National Literacy Trust
- Your local Family Information Service
If you’re worried that your child isn’t talking or has difficulties understanding, you may wish to contact Afasic Cymru.