Does Your Child Have An Additional Need Or A Disability?

Childcare Education Health | by | 29th Jan 2016

child-1144064_1280We’ve been talking to parents across Wales and found out that many are caring for a child with an additional need or disability.

Most parents have told us that trying to find support to meet the needs of their child can be extremely challenging.

We’ve decided this month to focus on a range of services and information available to help you get the support you need for your child, whether that’s at home, in school or in a social setting.

We will be interviewing professionals about the services on offer including:

  • how to identify your child’s needs and who to talk to
  • how to get additional support in school
  • what benefits your child is entitled to and how to apply
  • the transition for older children aged 16-19 and opportunities for further education and training

We’ll also be talking to parents and asking them to share their experiences and give top tips on how they’ve managed to get support and where to find useful information.

Need help?

Are you needing help or advice now? Share your problem on FamilyPoint and get advice and feedback from professionals and other parents who’ve had similar experiences. Write to A Problem Shared…

If you’ve had an issue that you’ve finally managed to overcome then please get in touch to share your story – either as an article or video interview.

Finally, if you are in need of some confidential support for yourself or your child and don’t know where to turn, contact our helpline and we will listen to you and do our best to put you in touch with people and organisations that can help. Contact us by

In the meantime, here are some organisations we’ll be featuring this month:

  • Afasic Cymru – SLCN – Speech Language & Communication Needs
  • Cerebra – ADHD, Austism, Learning Disabilities and other brain related conditions.
  • SNAP Cymru – independent information, advice and guidance in relation to the Special Educational Needs of their children and young people
  • Contact a Family – Wales – support, advice and information for families with disabled children, whatever their condition.
  • Beechwood College – a Specialist Further Education College in South Wales that also provides Residential Care dedicated to students over the age of 16 years with an Autistic Spectrum Condition, Asperger’s Syndrome, SEBD needs as well as moderate, severe and profound learning difficulties.

Don’t forget, your own Family Information Service can direct you to help within the council and we have additional links to disability organisations on the county pages. Keep an eye on our social media for useful links and videos across the month.

Professionals and organisations:

Please tell us about any events, support groups, resources, information and advice for parents in Wales. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram and we’ll promote your services.

Share this