Last updated: June 29, 2017
About Blaenau Gwent Supporting People Programme
The Supporting People Blaenau Gwent Programme will help you with housing related support to enable you to live independently and not become homeless.
- Help in setting up and maintaining your home
- Help to access other services, support and social networks
- Help to access education, training and employment
- Assistance to claim benefits/maximise income
- Help with budgeting/managing money
- Help with housing problems
- Help with personal/community safety and security, e.g. community alarms, anti-social/offending behaviour
- Help to increase your independence
- Help with practical living and parenting skills
If you need help with personal care you should contact the Social Services Department.
Types of Supporting People Services
The types of services available vary greatly; please see the following list of examples:
- Floating Support – a support worker can visit you in your own home to support you to maintain your home /sustain your tenancy. Support is provided for a period of time (dependent on your needs).
- Homelessness Hostel – provide interim/temporary accommodation if you are homeless.
- Domestic Abuse Refuge – provide emergency/temporary accommodation for men or women who are fleeing domestic abuse.
- Sheltered housing schemes – sheltered housing for people who are usually over 55 years old where a scheme manager has regular contact with tenants and an alarm service provides 24 hour cover in emergencies.
- 24 hour supported housing – accommodation where staff are on site 24 hours a day. Often a shared property with communal areas such as a lounge and a kitchen but it may also be self contained properties with staff accommodation in the vicinity.
- Supported housing (not 24 hour) – as above but staff are not on site 24 hours a day.
- Community alarms – an alarm only service that provides 24 hour cover in emergencies.
We can also help you with anything that could result in you losing your home:
- Do you have to pay extra to stay in your home? Are you now in arrears due to this?
- Do you need help contacting people, your landlord or other agencies?
- Do you have difficulties getting your landlord to carry out repairs?
- Do you need help to find employment, education or voluntary placements?
- Are you unsure of the income you’re entitled to? Do you owe anybody money?
- Do you find it difficult to fill in forms or read letters?
- Do you know your rights as a tenant?
If you think that you or someone you know could benefit from support, please contact the Supporting People Team
Who is this for?
If you live in Blaenau Gwent and are aged over 16 years old and are struggling to keep your home, at risk of losing your job, need to move or need help managing your finances – the Supporting People Team could offer you support.
If you’re not eligible for the Supporting People Programme, there may be other services available to you. Please contact Blaenau Gwent FIS to find out more.
Additional Needs / Disability / Health and Well-being / Homelessness / Housing
01495 354683 or 01495 354681
Supporting People Team
Social Services Directorate
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council