A Problem Shared: My Daughter Needs Housing

A Problem Shared Housing | by | 7th Oct 2016

House on a ledge for Housing APS

Rhys’s daughter is crashing on the sofa but needs her own place and quickly. Do you have any advice for the week’s A Problem Shared…?

If you have an issue around housing, or anything else, that you wish to share with the FamilyPoint Community, as well as get an answer from one of our trained and experienced helpline adviser advocates, then click here.

Hi FamilyPoint,

My daughter is currently staying with me but I’ve not got the room for her. I rent a one bedroom flat and the landlord has made it very clear I’m not to have anyone else living here. I’ve got an inspection on Monday, but I can’t kick her out.

She was living with her waste of space of a boyfriend but they had a massive argument a few weeks ago. It sounds like it’s the final one (thank god) but it means she hasn’t got anywhere else to go. She has slept on the streets in the past, and spent some time in care when she was younger, not saying I’m a great dad but I want to help her now. She has got a social worker but she’s not seeing them before the landlord comes round, and she doesn’t go to the meetings half the time anyway.

I’m not sure what to do, can you help?


Our FamilyPoint reply to Rhys

Thanks for contacting us for advice about your daughters housing issue.

It must be a very difficult situation for you as you clearly want to help your daughter, but at the moment don’t have suitable space for her to live with you on a permanent basis.

First of all, you could explain the situation to your daughter, that you want to help her and that you are happy for her to live with you, but that you have the inspection on Monday and that your landlord is strict on not having anyone else living with you. By having this open and honest conversation with your daughter it will show her that you still want to help and support her. Perhaps you could speak to your landlord and explain the situation to him? He might be willing to let her stay for a few days, which would take the immediate pressure off both you and your daughter.

APS Housing Info SM

If Social Services are still supporting your daughter they have a duty of care to help her with any housing needs. Dependent on your daughter’s age and situation she might be entitled to extra support for housing benefits and priority when it comes to local authority housing. Your daughter’s social worker would be able to offer advice on this and it would be great for your daughter to contact them as soon as possible to explain the situation and see what they can do to help. If your daughter won’t to do this it might be useful to contact the social worker on her behalf, explain the situation and see what support they can offer.

Housing Charities & Organisations that can help

If you don’t feel comfortable contacting social services, one of our FamilyPoint advisers would be more than happy to contact them on her behalf. Our contact details are at the bottom of this article.

Shelter Cymru, which is a housing and homelessness charity also has a 24 hour helpline which offers housing advice, and advocacy to individuals experiencing housing issues. They have an informative website and also have local offices based around Wales. Here’s their link for you to take a look at what they offer… sheltercymru.org.uk.

You can also access your local Citizens Advice Bureau for information on any benefits your daughter might be entitled to, including housing benefit. They could also look at your own personal situation and advise you on the next best step along with information on housing and financial advice if your intention is for your daughter to live with you on a permanent basis. Click here to take a look at their website.

You may also wish to contact your local Supporting People programme, you can find your nearest here.

We hope that you find the above advice and links helpful and all the best for the future.

Helpline Graphic for Play out alone problem

If you would like further information on national or local support services, then you can contact us at FamilyPoint Cymru via phone 0300 222 57 57, text 07860 052 905, or IM/Chat. We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.


The FamilyPoint Cymru Team


A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint Community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now. Got advice you want to share? Leave a comment below or write an article for us!

Check out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:

Share this