A Problem Shared… My Husband’s Been Injured at Work, and We Need Money!

A Problem Shared Money News Work & Training | by | 15th Apr 2016

Money_A Problem Shared

Sioned, a mum of two from Swansea, has money worries since her husband’s back was injured at work. She’s asked A Problem Shared…. for advice.

We have two children, aged 3 and 6. Both me and my husband are self employed and work part time. My husband is a handyman but a fortnight ago he fell from a ladder and has damaged his back and is still in agony and can’t work. I’m getting really worried about money as my wages aren’t enough to support all of us, now he’s been injured at work. For most of his jobs he gets paid cash in hand so we’re scared to see if he can get benefits in case he gets reported.

Our FamilyPoint advice to Sioned

We’re sorry to hear about your husband’s accident and hope he makes a speedy recovery.  You mentioned that you are both self-employed and that the loss of your husband’s wages whilst he is sick is really worrying you.

Photo Credit: clement127 via Compfight cc

Photo Credit: clement127 via Compfight cc

Your husband may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance whilst he is off work, and may also qualify for housing benefit/support with mortgage interest, council tax support and child tax credit.   You also mentioned some concerns about applying for benefits.

In the first instance, you might want to make an appointment with a benefits adviser in a Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), as they will provide you with free, independent and confidential advice.

In addition to CAB, Turn To Us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.  Their benefits calculator is particularly helpful, as it allows the user to find out if they’re eligible for benefits.   If you find it difficult to use, they can do the calculations over the telephone.

We hope that the above links are useful, and that you are able to get support during your husband’s time out of work.

If you feel this is something you’d like to talk to us about in more detail, you can contact us by phone – 0300 222 57 57, text – 07860 052 905 or instant message.

We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.

Do you have any advice for Sioned?

A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now.

A Problem Shared moneyCheck out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:

View all our latest responses.

Share this