A Problem Shared: Legal Highs

A Problem Shared Health | by | 2nd Jun 2016

Pills for Legal Highs A Problem Shared Article

Linda from Flintshire has got in contact about the legal high ban that came into law last week.

I know for a fact that my son smokes Spice. I’ve told him repeatedly how stupid he’s being. Now that it’s been made illegal, what would happen to him if he’s caught with some on him by the police?

Our FamilyPoint advice to Linda…


Thank you for contacting us regarding your concerns about your son, I can understand how worrying this might be for you and it’s good that you’re looking for advice about the legal position. Spice is classed as a synthetic cannabinoid (a mixture of plant material and chemicals similar to cannabis) and as you say, it was recently classified as an illegal high. Frank says that “if the Police catch you with synthetic cannabinoids, they are likely to take some action. This could include a formal caution, arrest and prosecution.

As I’m sure you know, young people are not always keen to listen to their parents’ advice so it’s not uncommon to feel that your concerns are falling on deaf ears. Another approach with your son could be to provide him with access to some reliable information about Spice and drugs in general so that he can make an informed choice about what he’s doing.

Current information on these new types of illegal drugs suggests that they have similar effects on the body to cannabis but, because they are new there could be other, unknown, harmful effects.

Here are a couple of very helpful services which may be of interest to you and your son. Both Drug Aid and Talk To Frank contain more information about Spice, its effects and what may happen if someone is caught with the drug.

Talk To Frank – offers free confidential drugs information and advice 24 hours a day. Phone: Helpline – 0800 776 600

DRUGAID – provides a number of services including peer support, general support and help for under 18s  – 08700600310

DAN 24/7 – Wales Drug & Alcohol Helpline – a free and bilingual telephone helpline providing a single point of contact for anyone in Wales wanting further information and/or help relating to drugs and/or alcohol. Freephone: 0808 808 2234 or text DAN to: 81066

Family Lives – Parenting and family support from Family Lives (formerly Parentline Plus) through their website, online chat, helpline 0808 800 2222 and parenting classes.

I hope you and your son find the information helpful, keep talking to one another.

If you would like further information on national or local support services, then you can contact us at FamilyPoint Cymru via phone 0300 222 57 57, text 07860 052 905, or IM/Chat. We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.

Kind Regards
FamilyPoint Cymru

A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now.

A Problem Shared Sex TalkCheck out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:

View all our latest responses.

Share this