A Problem Shared: Managing My Son’s Behaviour

A Problem Shared Parenting & Family Advice | by | 2nd Sep 2016

Cover image of son's behaviour APS

Emily from Monmouthshire is after support for her son’s behaviour. Do you have any advice for this week’s A Problem Shared…?

If you have an issue that you wish to share with the FamilyPoint Community, as well as get aanswer from one of our trained and experienced helpline adviser advocates, then click here.

Hi, I am 27 years old and have a son who is 6. I was wondering what support is available to assist me with managing with the behaviour of my son?

Our FamilyPoint advice to Emily…

Hello there, thank you for getting in touch with FamilyPoint Cymru.

It sounds like you’re struggling with your son’s behaviour at the moment – it’s really positive that you’re seeking help with this.

Monmouthshire appears to have a few projects run by Families First, which can help parents to manage their children’s behaviour, increase well-being and improve family relationships. If you want to find out if you are eligible for Families First help, you can call them on 01633 644238.

Article continues below…

Encouraging better behaviour: positive parenting tips

You can also call us at FamilyPoint on 0300 222 5757, if you prefer, to give us a bit more information about your situation. We will help you to find the most suitable support for you and your son. Calls to this number are charged at local rates.

“It’s really positive that you’re seeking help with this.”

In the meantime, here’s a few links for some background reading on children’s behaviour and development. They also have some handy tips on things you can do to encourage better behaviour:

Family Lives – a national charity providing support in all aspects of family life. They have a free helpline too – 0808 800.

Kids Behaviour – Advice, help and support to parents and carers.

Young Minds: For Parents – Young Minds aims to improve the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people. Their For Parents section provides information and advice for concerned mums and dads online. They too also have a free helpline – 0808 802 5544.

We hope the above information is useful and hope you manage to get the support you need. Please do contact us if you’d like some further advice and support.

Helpline Graphic for Play out alone problem

If you would like further information on national or local support services, then you can contact us at FamilyPoint Cymru via phone 0300 222 57 57, text 07860 052 905, or IM/Chat. We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.


The FamilyPoint Cymru Team

A Problem Shared Sex TalkA Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint Community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now. Got advice you want to share? Leave a comment below or write an article for us!

Check out our recent A Problem Shared… posts for more family advice:

A Problem Shared: The Dummy Battle

View all of our latest responses.

Share this