Can’t believe it’s the holidays already? Looking for things to do with the kids? Here are some ideas for your half term in Wales.
We’ve got loads of suggestions for half term ideas in Wales but if you’ve got any recommendations, please let us know in the comments section at the bottom of page.
We’ve tried to include as many free and cheap events as possible – take a look through and have a great week!
Special events happening this week
Here’s a couple of What’s On guides to events across Wales
- The ultimate guide to things to do this October half term in Wales.
- 19 Halloween family events in Swansea.
- 10 fun family things to do this in Cardiff this half term under £10.
- 9 fun family things to do in Newport this half term under £10.
- 11 free things to do in Swansea during October half term.
- What’s On this October… your (almost) complete guide to North Wales days out.
- 101 things to do in North Wales – whatever the weather!
Catch a film and raise money for Children in Need
It’s a staple of free things to do and with good reason, as the local park is an excellent way to spend time with your family. Exercise, nature, fresh air, away from the screen, cherish your local park and the time you spend there.
Throw a party
We recently posted our top tips for hosting a cheap kids birthday party. But even if it isn’t your little one’s birthday you can use some of the ideas to occupy them this week including arts & crafts clubs, quiz nights and baking.
Go to a Techniquest
There’s one in Cardiff Bay. There’s one too in Wrexham. They’re both filled with hands-on exhibits, knowledgeable and fun demonstrations and enough science to fly a rocket to the moon. FYI we’ve got a competition to win a family ticket to Techniquest Glyndŵr running at the moment…
Make a den
Got any old bedsheets, dust mats, or curtains at the back of the airing cupboard? That’s a den that is…
Turn your house into a laboratory
If Techniquest isn’t an option then why not bring science into the home? Here’s 5 Easy Science Experiments To Do With The Kids.
Watch TV in real life
Shows are always after audience members, check to see if there’s anything filming near you on Applause Store.
Prepare for Halloween
It’s the following Monday (31st October 2016), but there’s no time like the present to get those costumes ready. Here’s our guide to how to do Halloween on a budget.
Mosey round the museum
Visiting a museum is a classic half-term activity. It’s also Welsh Museum Festival during half term, so check Museums.Wales’ calendar. All of the National Museum Wales sites are free to enter and these include:
- The big one in Cardiff
- Big Pit: National Coal Museum (Blaenavon, near Abergavenny)
- Newport’s National Roman Legion Museum
- National Slate Museum (Llanberis, Gwynedd)
- Swansea’s National Waterfront Museum
- National Wool Museum (Near Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire)
- and St Fagans National History Museum (Cardiff)
This isn’t an extensive list of everything that’s happening in Wales for families over half-term. If you know of a great event happening in your area please share in the comments below or tag us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Talking of social media, we’ll be sharing news on events and goings-on over the week, so keep an eye out for that.
Want to find out about services available to you and your child in your area? Would you like to chat about family matters in general? Then get in touch with the FamilyPoint Cymru helpline.
- Phone: 0300 222 57 57
- Text: 07860 052 905
- Instant message (see top of page)
We are open 6pm – 10pm Monday to Thursday and 10am – 2pm Friday & Saturday.