A Problem Shared: Served With A Section 21 Notice

A Problem Shared Housing | by | 18th Nov 2016

Section 21 APS

Adnan and his family have been served a section 21 notice and he’s worried about his future. Do you have any advice or support for this week’s A Problem Shared..?

If you need some help with any ideas or with any issues that are causing problems for your family why not share with the FamilyPoint Community? You can get advice and support from other parents as well as get an answer from one of our trained and experienced helpline adviser advocates. Click here.

Hello FamilyPoint,

My family and I have been served with a section 21 notice and we don’t know what to do. As far as we’re aware, we haven’t done anything wrong.

From the very start, our landlord has been aggressive and intolerant towards us. I believe this is because we are Syrian. I came here for a better life and now I face life on the streets.

My wife is sick with worry and it’s not good for my heart. Please help.

Adnan, Cardiff

Our FamilyPoint reply to Adnan

Dear Adnan,

Sorry to hear you’re going through a difficult time with your housing situation and that your wife is sick with worry and your health is suffering because of this. I can imagine it’s an extremely difficult and stressful situation for you both and it can be hard to know where to turn for help.

Time to get advice

If you have been served with a Section 21 you have two months from the date of issue before the landlord can take this further, so at least you have some time to get some advice and support about your next best step before you have to leave the property. A useful article on section 21 can be found by on The Tenants’ Voice website. This will give you some basic information about the notice (including timescales) and your rights.

Section 21 Step Pablo

This is a complicated area and it depends on the type of tenancy you have as to what your rights are. As general advice – you should have signed a contract with your landlord when you took on the property. The most common tenancy in the private rented sector is an assured shorthold tenancy. If your agreement states this, your tenancy would last for 6 months and your landlord cannot serve a section 21 within the first 4 months of this tenancy. If served during the last 2 months of your tenancy the law says that a landlord does not have to have or, give any reasons to serve a notice to quit and can request their property back.

Get support

It is best for you to obtain some support and assistance and to put your mind at rest you can telephone Shelter Cymru on their advice line – 0345 075 5005 open Monday – Friday 9.30am-4pm. Shelter can offer you advice and support on any housing issue. If there is an issue that needs challenging about your case they have surgeries in Cardiff where you can make an appointment to attend to seek advice and support, all you need to do is give them a ring to make an appointment. Details can be found here. It would be best for you to contact Shelter as soon as possible to get some advice and support.

Section 21 APS Calm Sea

Another place for you to access help and support is Cardiff Housing Options. They also offer advice to individuals facing housing difficulties and their contact details can be found by following the link above. Should you need to find alternative accommodation they will also be able to support you with this. You can find housing help in other counties through our Supporting People pages; find your local service by clicking here.

We hope that you find the above advice and links helpful and all the best for the future.


The FamilyPoint Cymru team

Helpline Graphic for Play out alone problem

If you would like further information on national or local support services, then you can contact us at FamilyPoint Cymru via phone 0300 222 57 57, text 07860 052 905, or IM/Chat. We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.


The FamilyPoint Cymru Team


A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint Community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now. Got advice you want to share? Leave a comment below or write an article for us!

Check out our recent articles for more family advice:

Places That Can Help If You Have Housing Problems in Wales

A Problem Shared: My Daughter Needs Housing

More Rights For Renters

Share this