A Problem Shared: My Son Has A Stutter

A Problem Shared Health | by | 14th Oct 2016

APS - Stutter

Jennifer’s son has developed a stutter and she doesn’t know how to help him. Do you have any advice for this week’s A Problem Shared…?

If you have an issue around stuttering or anything else that you wish to share with the FamilyPoint Community, as well as get an answer from one of our trained and experienced helpline adviser advocates, then click here.

Hi FamilyPoint,

My boy has developed a stutter in the last six months. Is this something I can go to the GP about?

I’m not sure what caused it, he seems less confident and outgoing, but I’m not sure if that’s because of the stutter or it’s a cause? I think the other boys in his class are picking on him about it.

No one in the family stutters, so we’re all a little bit stumped. Any ideas how I can help?


Our FamilyPoint reply to Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at FamilyPoint. You must be very worried about your son’s stutter.

Even though stuttering is quite common in children this is definitely something that you should go to your GP about. Your GP should be able to discuss your concerns with you and if they think it is necessary, refer your son to a speech and language specialist for an assessment.

You didn’t say how old your son is but treatment is often highly successful in resolving stutters in pre-school age children, especially if it is received as soon as possible, so early referral to a specialist is very important.

Organisations that can help

Alternatively, many speech and language services accept self-referrals from patients and parents. The British Stammering Association has a helpline you can contact for advice about seeking help. They can also provide information too about the services that might be available in your area.

If it is agreed that treatment would benefit your son, a therapist would work with you to come up with a suitable plan tailored to your child’s individual circumstances.

This plan may involve:

  • working to create an environment in which your son feels more relaxed and confident about their use of language
  • working on feelings associated with stuttering, such as fear and anxiety
  • strategies to improve your son’s fluency and communication skills

Another organisation which you might find useful to contact, either by taking a look at their website or ringing them is Action For Stammering Children. They should be able to provide you with more specialist advice.

I hope this information helps. Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you need anything else.
Take care 🙂

Helpline Graphic for Play out alone problem

If you would like further information on national or local support services, then you can contact us at FamilyPoint Cymru via phone 0300 222 57 57, text 07860 052 905, or IM/Chat. We are open Monday – Thursday 6pm – 10pm and Friday & Saturday 10am – 2pm.


The FamilyPoint Cymru Team


A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint Community.

Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now. Got advice you want to share? Leave a comment below or write an article for us!

Check out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:

A Problem Shared… She’s Lost Her Confidence

A Problem Shared… Is My Daughter Being Excluded?

A Problem Shared: Managing My Son’s Behaviour


Share this