Lowri from Newport is thinking of going on a family holiday during term time but is worried about the possible fines…
I came across a good deal for my family of 4 to stay at a holiday park for a week from 11 July.
The same package would cost us twice as much if we went during the school holidays. We don’t have a lot of money, so really cannot justify paying twice the amount to go on the same holiday so that the kids don’t miss out on school.
But at the same time, we are worried about getting into trouble for taking them out of school during term time. I have read news about parents being fined and taken to court for doing this. What should we do?
Our FamilyPoint advice to Lowri
Family holidays are a hugely important part of family life. However sadly, as you say, holiday firms raise their prices over the school holiday period as it’s such a popular time, making it more and more difficult for people to be able to afford to get away without taking their children out of school during term time.
Thankfully the Welsh Government understand the value of a family holiday and have taken a common sense approach towards it. This link, which I have taken from the Welsh Government official website, gives you all the answers to questions you might have about taking your children out of school for a holiday during school time.
The mains points it contains are…
- Headteachers have the discretionary power to authorise up to 10 days absence during a school year for family holidays during term time if it is felt necessary.
- If a parent chooses to take their child out of school for a holiday during term time they will not automatically be fined. It will depend on a variety of factors.
I hope that reading this will give you all the information you need and allay your fears.
Have a fantastic holiday!
The FamilyPoint Cymru Team
A Problem Shared… is your space to share both your problems and your advice with the FamilyPoint community.
Got a problem you want to share? Ask us now.
Check out our recent ‘A Problem Shared…’ posts for more family advice:
- My Son Deserves A Better Dad
- Postnatal Depression
- MMR & Autism?
- I Can’t Afford My Son’s School Trip
- Does My Adult Grandson Have ADHD?
- How Do I Give My Kid the Sex Talk?
- I Need Good Children’s Books!