Top tips on how to increase the language skills of your little one from Flying Start.
SLC stands for Speech, Language, and Communication. It is one of the four main areas that Flying Start can help support you with in raising your child.
If you live in a Flying Start area and have children aged under 4 years old you are entitled to:
- Quality part-time childcare for 2-3 year olds.
- An enhanced Health Visiting service.
- Access to parenting support.
- Support for your child’s speech, language and communication.
Speech, language, and communication is a really important part in raising a child. Children who are good at talking at an early age usually develop good literacy skills. It also helps them make friends. That’s why this factsheet exists. It forms part of the Flying Start SLC parent pack, which also includes:
- “Learning to Talk” Parent Pack including a CD of songs and nursery rhymes.
- Lyric sheets for the “Learning to Talk” Parent Pack songs and nursery rhymes.
- Digital versions of the “Learning to Talk” Parent Pack songs and nursery rhymes.
- Flying Start Speech and Language Development Wheel.
- Stages of Speech and Language Poster.
- The Flying Start Book Bag
What is Flying Start?
Flying Start is a Welsh Government programme to provide a range of services helping children get the best start in life. It is only available in certain parts of Wales. Your health visitor should be able to inform you whether you live in one of them.
For further information about Flying Start in Wales, contact your local service. You can find links to all Flying Start services in Wales on our Flying Start Wales page. You can also speak to your local Family Information Service or your health visitor.
So, if you want to grab this poster and lots of other advice, factsheets, and guidance then click here and scroll down!
Child Literacy in Wales
If you want to know more about child literacy or looking for ways to encourage your child to read more, then have a look at these sites:
- Welsh Libraries
- Book Trust Cymru
- National Literacy Trust
- Your local Family Information Service
If you’re worried that your child isn’t talking or has difficulties understanding, you may wish to contact Afasic Cymru.
Want to find out about services available to you and your child in your area? Would you like to chat about family matters in general? Then get in touch with the FamilyPoint Cymru helpline.
- Phone: 0300 222 57 57
- Text: 07860 052 905
- Instant message (see top of page)
We are open 6pm – 10pm Monday to Thursday and 10am – 2pm Friday & Saturday.