Calling all Dads… Where do you get family support?

News | by | 21st Apr 2016

Father and son - dad questionnaire

Are you a Dad, or are you a grandparent, uncle, carer or family friend with a fatherly responsibility for a child or young person?

We’re interested to find out how you cope as a Dad or father figure and where you go when you need advice and information.  If you attend parent support groups, or have direct contact with family teams within your local council, or meet with your child’s school teachers, we’d like to hear about your experience of getting help and support.

Although men are less likely to ask for help than women, it is now recognised that there is a need for Dads to have their own support groups, websites and forums where they feel comfortable sharing their experiences. Families need Fathers – Both Parents Matter, is an organisation that provides parent support groups and legal advice for Dads (and grandparents) to help them be a positive role model in their family’s lives.  Every year they ask for feedback from men on their experiences of using family services within the council and voluntary groups and charities.  If you are a Dad or have a role as a father, this is your chance to have a say on the way family services in Wales support men.  Please complete FNF – Both Parents Matter’s short questionnaire.

There are other organisations that can offer Dads support. Gingerbread – supports single parents and  has a section dedicated to Dads.  In West Wales, Plant Dewi runs Dad Venture – parenting and activity clubs for Dads with or without their children and partners.

We will be running a ‘Dad’ campaign in June, so we’d love to hear from you if you know of any other groups specifically for men in Wales.  We’d also like to share stories from Dads – happy and sad – about bringing up kids.

To get in touch then please leave a comment in the box, or use our contact form  or if you have anything you’d like to discuss confidentially then please contact our helpline by text (07860 052 905), phone (0300 222 57 57) or online chat (see details on top of the page).

Share this